Privately owned, Derrick Corporation was founded in 1951 by H. William Derrick Jr., affectionately known as 'The Chief' throughout his business career. In 1947, and by now married to his wife Bette, he joined forces with his father-in-law, William L. Wettlaufer, an inventor who held a series of patents to manufacture high frequency therapeutic vibrators and slow speed vibrating screen machines. Together, they developed a high speed vibrator to shake testing sieves. Observation of rapid separation of particles through various sieve sizes and the unusual active behavior of particles when subjected to high frequency vibration spawned the idea for larger commercial designs.
In order to develop and market this idea, Bill Derrick went out on his own, and in 1951 he teamed up with Messinger Bearing Co. to develop the first four bearing high-speed screen vibrator. It was in this same year that Derrick Manufacturing Company was formed as a proprietorship. In 1952, Dick Vale, one of Bill's cousins joined the company, followed shortly afterwards by his brother Bob Derrick in 1954. In 1955 the company relocated to 590 Duke Road, where for the sum of $25,000, a 3,600 ft² (334 m²) structure was erected to cover needs for both manufacturing and office space. Today, this original space is still a part of Derrick's 300,000 ft² (27,870 m²) facility.
During the first half of its existence, Derrick Manufacturing focused on applications in the mining, industrial, and chemical industries and built an impressive reputation for solving a wide variety of the most difficult fine screening and separation problems.
Another key development occurred in the mid-80's. Derrick sought out potential partners to assist in the development of high open area polyurethane screen surfaces. No partner was found as everyone thought Derrick's expectations were impossible. Derrick developed this product on its own and today, Derrick's high open area, long life polyurethane screen surfaces are unique in the world. With open area and capacity rivaling woven wire, Derrick urethane panels outlast woven wire by factors of 10 to 20.
With 3 generations of Derricks actively involved in the business, it is committed to the guiding principles and philosophy that have led to its success. Derrick is committed to providing customers with state of the art equipment to meet their ever-changing needs. High quality, innovation and reliability are Derrick's pledge today and for the future. A firm commitment to research and development enables Derrick to maintain its position as a leading innovator. Derrick also stands behind its commitment to a vertically integrated, in-house production system.
Finally, over fifty years of continued growth and success would not have been possible without the support and dedication of an exceptional workforce. Derrick would like to take this opportunity to thank all its employees for their ongoing and continued contributions.
- 1950 - High Speed Integral Vibrating Motor
- 1977 - Sandwich Screen® Panel
- 1977 - Multifeed Screening Machine
- 1984 - Flo-Line® Cleaner (linear motion shaker)
- 1984 - PWP™ Screen Panel (repairable screen)
- 1989 - Urethane Screen Surfaces
- 1990 - HI-G® Dryer (7.3 G's)
- 1993 - Pyramid™ Screen (three-dimensional screen)
- 1996 - Flo-Line Scalper™
- 1997 - Super G® Vibrating motor
- 2001 - Stack Sizer
- 2006 - DE-7200™ VFD™ Big Bowl Centrifuge
- 2008 - "W" Motor